Thursday, June 14, 2007

The end of an era

Like millions of other fans of "The Sopranos", I mourn the end of one of the greatest shows ever. Unfortunately, I did not watch the final episode, and in fact, I have not even watched one episode of season 6, part deux. I will wait and get it on DVD and see it without waiting a week or interruption. I have the other seasons and have gone through them twice. I'm also considering getting some Sopranos memrobilia as well.

Since I've always been a fan of the mafia genre, this show has captivated and cast an addiction over me like very few have. If there is a "Sopranos Anonymous" group, please let me know.

While I'm also a "Six Feet Under" fan, it just did not ignite the raw emotions in me as Tony and crew did.

I will say though that this show has typecast many of it's actors, but I'm sure they will have no problem getting work. This show has also made once relatively unknown actors into pop icons whose careers have gotten a mega-boost, and can more or less name their price now. Take Tony Sirico, AKA Paulie for instance. Before the Sopranos, while he did appear in quite a few films, namely Goodfellas, Money Kings and others, you could probably pass him on the street and not even take a second glance. Now he has become one of the most recognizeable figures in show business. I'm sure he will need a few bodyguards now. I can also say the same for Frank Vincent, Vincent Pastore, Dominic Chianese and others.

As for the last show, I have seen some unfavorable reviews in recent days, but I will just draw my own conclusions.

Granted, this show is not everyone's cup of tea, and I can understand that. It has definitely created quite a bit of ire in the Italian American community, which to some degree is understandable. However, it's just a show, or is it?

No comments: